Thursday, January 27, 2011

New Soda Bread Recipe Experiment.

So after some investigation I came across this web site: Flour substitutions and gluten-free flour mixes And I learned two things: (1) flour substitutions require some experimentation, and (2) someone has already done the experiments.

After finding an Irish Soda Bread Recipe, I'm now trying the following recipe:

  • 2 cups millet flour
  • 2/3 cup potato starch
  • 1/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup + some extra soy milk
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Cook at 450°F for 45 minutes.

We'll see how this works out...


Flavor is perfect. The bread was not quite as fluffy as I had hoped, but I think it's a matter of just adding a touch more soda and perhaps baking powder. This recipe is the closest I've come to a functional wheat free, rice flour free, yeast free bread recipe.

I learned two things. (1) I now have a general purpose flour for other recipes. (Next: banana bread with vegan chocolate chips.) And (2) I learned that I should do the friggin' research first before jumping in...

No comments:

Post a Comment