Saturday, February 5, 2011

One more go-round with the Soda Bread Recipe, and last week's Banana Bread.

I'm now trying the Soda Bread Recipe again, but with two modifications:

(1) I'm adding 2 tsp sugar rather than 1 tsp salt. The bread wound up being a bit dry and bland; my hope is by upping the sugar a touch I'll get something more of a white fluffy consistency. Sugar acts like a liquid in bread recipes.

(2) I'm adding 1 tsp baking powder to the 1 tsp baking soda. My hope is to have the bread rise more than the denser consistency I got the first time.

We'll see how this goes.

As an aside, the banana bread recipe last week worked wonderfully. That recipe was:

  • 1 cup millet flour
  • 1/3 cup potato starch
  • 3 (scant) tablespoons tapioca flour
  • 1 tsp xantham gum
  • 2 (full) teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg substitute
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 cup vegan chocolate chips

This recipe is, thankfully, rather insensitive to my man-handling. After making the egg substitute, I mix the shortening, sugar, egg substitute together in a mixer until well creamed. Then the other ingredients (flour, potato starch, flour, xantham gum, baking powder, salt) go in and mixed. We then toss in the bananas and beat until a relatively creamy consistency. Then toss in the chocolate chips and mix.

Put into bread pan, and cook at 350°F for about an hour.

That recipe worked perfectly. Which tells me the flour substitute recipe works very well for heavily flavored foods (heavy breads, baked goods), but for last week's Soda Bread? ... Hmmmm ...

No comments:

Post a Comment