Sunday, February 13, 2011

A love/hate relationship with this diet.

Things I like about this diet:

I feel better. Never underestimate that. Eliminating the foods from my diet that may be affecting how I feel and how I think has done wonders on my ability to function, especially with my day job as a software developer. Much of my job revolves (ironically enough) around interacting with other people--and I feel like a gentle fog of old age has been lifted. (At 45, I know I'm middle-aged--but for God's sake, my brain shouldn't be on a downward spiral this early...)

I'm able to lose weight more easily. So far, since starting trying to lose weight, I've managed to drop 10 pounds over two months at a nice, even pace. But since starting the elimination diet, it's been easier to reduce my calorie intake to my target without feeling like I'm going to climb the wall.

I've got a good recipe for chocolate chip banana bread.


The things I hate.

I miss wheat bread, wheat tortillas, wheat pasta.

And I'm going to be pretty damned cranky if, after trying to reintroduce wheat, it turns out I'm allergic to it and have to avoid wheat for the rest of my life.

I hate having to cook a week's worth of food for myself for the upcoming week. It turns out my lifestyle is one where it's easiest to come home after work, pop something into the microwave, and settle down in front of the TV to unwind. And there is not a single frozen TV dinner out there that I can eat.

So ideally I spend half my day on Sunday cooking all sorts of stuff, vacuum seal it, drop it in the freezer--and I have my food for the next week.

I hate not being able to just run out to lunch at work, but instead having to think ahead and figure out what to make for lunch.

Thank goodness for a pressure cooker; I'm able to run two pounds of beef and a pound of chicken through in about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment