Sunday, January 16, 2011

The purpose of this blog.

So last Friday I got the results back from an IgG and IgE allergy test, and for the next few months I need to eat foods that eliminate those food items. If the list was a short one, of course, I could just buy the right foods and call it a day.

But, unfortunately, the list I got includes wheat, milk, rice, barley, almond, eggs, sesame, and yeast--a list which forecloses on every single bread I could find at Whole Foods.

*sigh*

The past few months I have been baking my own breads. Who'd think that all that work would prepare me for the next few months of cooking for myself?

So the point of this blog is to record my progress, and to record recipes that I encounter or create.

Let's be clear: I'm not a health nut. And I have no intent to become one. I don't appreciate a lot of web sites with a lot of the various gluten free or yeast free cooking, since they all seem to revolve around what I call "politically correct eating." I'm not an organic freak; I've been around enough farms to know that most "organic" is bullshit. And I'm not a "foodie" nor am I a "local-vore" or one of a thousand other inane ways people feel artificially elite about their eating choices.

Instead, I'm just some guy who likes to cook, who just got a list of 23 food types I need to eliminate--and who found that I need to make a bunch of stuff that avoids the items in that list.

Which, for the record, is:

  • Almonds
  • Kidney Beans
  • Pinto Beans
  • Barley
  • Cashew Nuts
  • Celery
  • Cranberries
  • Eggs
  • Garlic (damn!)
  • Cow's Milk
  • Goat's Milk
  • Mushrooms
  • Mustard
  • Onions
  • Peaches
  • Peanuts
  • Rice
  • Rye
  • Sesame
  • Tomatoes
  • Wheat
  • Baker's Yeast
  • Brewer's Yeast

So here are some recipes and the results I got from cooking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment